Friday, July 2, 2010

Capturing Moments in Life

Years earlier, we went to Arches National Park. We tried walking through a narrow passageway to a canyon beyond. The wind was so fierce that it was blowing people over and we had to turn back. When we were in Arches in June we decided to try again.

The slot canyon was beautiful with wind-eroded rocks towering above us. The intense sun warmed the rock walls. We caught glimpses ahead of contorted pines against blue sky. Blooming flowers lined the trail. It was then that I saw the little lizard pressed against a rock and wrote:

Encounter Along a Path

A small, dull brown-green lizard
atop a sun-bathed red rock.
Motionless - almost.

It turns it head toward me - then
quickly away.
Motionless again - almost.

I hold my breath and watch
to see if it is breathing.

The lizard raises and lower
sits body in a pumping motion,
I see its bright green
underbelly.
It lowers itself to the rock -
again motionless - almost.

I step away and leave
a small, dull brown-green lizard
atop a sun-bathed red rock.

                Clem


No comments:

Post a Comment