Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Stitch In Time Saves Nine . . . and You Can Count On That!

Elizabeth and I have a very old quilt that
was made by Hulda, her grandmother. We
remembered it was tucked away in an old
wooden chest. Almost together, we thought . . .
it is so beautiful. At least we could place it
on the top of our made-up bed each
morning . . . but not use it for a cover
during the night.
                         
            That was a good decision!

The other day, I wondered just how many
individual stitches that Elizabeth's grandmother
had made to create the quilt. So . . . using a
magnifying glass, I dutifully counted them.

                          Each one.
         Came up with thirteen thousand,
                    nine hundred, and
                          forty two!

Some folks must be thinking that I have a lot
of time on my hands. Actually, I took a shortcut
in counting the stitches, by measuring the quilt
(5 X 8 feet) and then carefully counting the
number of stitches in just one of the 12 X 12 inch
quilt squares. Pretty clever, I'd say . . .

I figured that I was counting on doing a lot more
that day than to use it up counting.

           That was another good decision!

Some day I am determined to count the number of
granulated sugar crystals there are in a 4 lb (l.8kg)
bag of white sugar. (The bag says that the sugar is
"Naturally Fat-Free and has only 15 Calories
PER TSP.")

           Maybe, I will pass on that project.

                     That could possibly
                            be still yet
                              another
                         good decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment