Sunday, February 15, 2015

THAT ROSALYNN . . . SHE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD !

Gosh . . . it seems a long time ago.  I was volunteering for the Minneapolis Habitat for Humanity and had been asked to introduce Rosalynn Carter to the crowd that had gathered. The pastor who had been asked to give the opening prayer had failed to show up on time and so I had been asked to do that as well. It seemed so "impromptu" and it actually was. Both of the Carters have been my heroes ever since the first Habitat home was built near Americus, Georgia.

Both Rosalynn and I were up at the podium and after the prayer, it was time to introduce her. (I think I was a little nervous.)

I had been given a two-foot long 2X4, a hammer, and a 16 penny nail to be part of the event. The plan was to dramatize the beginning of still another Habitat home on the lot just adjacent to where the ceremony was taking place.

Rosalynn was to pound the nail into the board.    So far, so good.

She kneeled down by the 2X4. With the hammer, she just got the nail started . . . and then looked up at me.  Then she said  "I bet that you don't think I can do this, right?"  (The look on my face must have belied the worry that she would slip and hit her finger.) Don't remember what my reply was . . . but the  crowd laughed.

Then, she deftly whacked in the nail with just three blows.  The crowd cheered. Rosalynn went on to say that she and Jimmie had worked on ____ (number to be filled) Habitat homes so far !

I so wish that I had thought to keep the board with the nail in it.





No comments:

Post a Comment