Monday, January 13, 2014

Vacuuming Day

For some reason, Pixie the Cat is terrified of vacuum cleaners. I don't know if she thinks it will suck her right up into it. Who knows how a cat's mind works!

But vacuuming is one of those necessary tasks of life. Somehow, little bits of unidentifiable material accumulate on the floors. Makes for crunchy walking if it is neglected too long. So out comes the Blue Monster. And Pixie goes into high alert.

Meanwhile Maggie the Cat snoozes away the day in front of the fireplace, oblivious to the threats of sucking noises.

They are sweet cats who take their household duties seriously. There is rabbit and squirrel patrol in the morning. Our house is mice-free. And in the evening, there is lap-sitting to attend to - nothing like a warm cat on these wintery days.

I wish I could be as faithful to life's duties as the cats are. I get engrossed in writing and forget to turn off the fireplace when it gets too warm. I struggle to keep the numbers correct in our bank account. Bill-paying is my job and I double-check due-dates often to make sure I send these obligations off in time - only occasionally putting the electric bill in the phone bill envelope. Thank heavens there is some grace left in our mostly computer-driven world.

The two cats have whispered in my ear that they would like to try blogging. But there are limits. Besides I don't think long meows and purrs would translate easily on this English-spoken only site!

I have sometimes tried to see the world through their eyes. They have never set a paw outside our house. Their world consists of what they can see from windows around the perimeter of the house. If it can't be seen from these vantage points, it must not exist.

A bit like most of us humans. What we see - or choose to see - is all that exists.

Protesters plan to shut down Bangkok, something most folks ignore - and I am thankful that I was  there at a time when political protests were minor. Ditto for Kenya.  Memories of this fascinating land, its people, its animals, and its birds are treasures I hold in my heart. Driving through Nairobi by van during rush hour was more thrilling than any amusement park ride. Again, I was fortunate to be there at a relatively safe time.

Radiation is leaking from Fukushima - but radiation is invisible and most of us tend to avoid thinking about the whole disaster. Unless it reaches the shores of this country. Contaminated water in West Virginia hits a little closer to home since we stayed just outside Charleston just a few months ago.

However, images of the research vessel trapped in summer ice near Antarctica calls up vivid memories for me. When we rounded the tip of South America several years ago, considered the most treacherous seas in the world, we lucked out. The morning was so calm that we were able to circle the islands, which make up the Cape of Good Horn.

But a year and a half ago we had our own little adventure. Crossing the North Pacific by ship, we encountered unexpected ice, which became so thick that our route became impassable. We were forced to return to Japan in order to find an alternative route to Alaska. Memories of the sights and sounds of ice floes bumping into the ship are permanently engraved in my mind. This unexpected venture has become part of my particular perspective of the world.

I don't think Maggie and Pixie would have enjoyed the experience at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment