Friday, November 18, 2011

Being Unique

The newspaper is so full of necessary information and commentary. Now I learn that decorating your home with one of a kind objects is in danger of becoming a fad.

A fad? When I walk around my own home, I recall memories that brought each piece of art, each piece of furniture into my life.  Momentos tucked in our carry-on luggage from trips to foreign lands. Flea market finds, some of them lovingly restored to a functional life. Art by local artists, local being where ever we happen to be, that supports artists' creative efforts.

A writing friends wondered out loud if people who write memoir surround themselves with objects that are memories. Perhaps.

But a fad? Does that mean we are all fads? I'd like to think of each of us as unique and precious, to be treasured by the people with whom we rub shoulders in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment