Friday, September 27, 2013

Sweet Teeth En Masse

It was early in the morning and I realized that there was
no milk for breakfast.

Going through the line at our CUB grocery store, 
I was startled to hear a cheer arise from some checkout clerks
the next aisle over. 

    Two thousand plus dollars . . . our first transaction of the day.
    (store manager comes running over) That person right over there, 
    the one going out the door, just bought 2,500 bars of Haagen-Dazs*
    ice cream! He said it was for a convention and said 
                        'if that's what they want . . .
                         that's what they will get.'

I could not help but stare. And yes, there they were. On a pallet . . . cases of
something all wrapped up being carted away.

Outside, I offered to hold one of the cartons until he could lift the rest into the 
back end of the small truck. He didn't take me up on my most generous offer.
          (No one seems to have ever taken me jump on ploys like that!)

So, I took my milk and went home.

Can't believe for the life of me, 
some people's palettes.

                       *Living briefly in New Jersey in 1961, I remember when Haagen-Dazs
                         first came out. The media said that the inventors of the ice cream
                         created the name so that it would sound exotic and Danish. The words,
                         evidently, were just made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment