Monday, April 22, 2013

Beans Seeds as a Threat?

I have ordered seeds from Vermont Bean Seed Company for decades - the best source of unusual varieties that I have found. Before I knew this protracted weather was going to be the pattern, I placed my order as usual near the beginning of February. I mean, I wanted to be ready for gardening to begin!

The small box arrived in several weeks. And without looking at it I stashed it with my other seed order from Burpee Seeds. Several days ago, I dug out the seed orders - despite the never-ending snowfall (yes, snow will make another pass through here tonight).  On the top of the box was a diagonal sticker SCANNED in large letters.

Scanned? My bean seeds? The box arrived long before the Boston Marathon bombing and today's foiled plot to blow up a Canadian train. Was my box of Jacob's Cattle beans, Black Coco beans, Snow Peas, Bonbon winter squash seeds, and dill seeds deemed dangerous by the post office?

Thankfully, I did not order castor beans - used to produce ricin, the stuff sent by letter to President Obama and a southern legislator. Perhaps then my order would have been confiscated and I would have had the FBI knocking at my door.

It raises the question of what we have become on this planet earth. This wanton destruction of innocent people - a new form of warfare. And turbulent extreme weather.

I look at the weather map, endure one grey day after another - and my seed order sulks on the kitchen counter. There will be no garden planting for some time ahead. I look through my meticulously-kept gardening records. Pea pods go in the ground the first of April. All my cool weather veggies planted by now. Instead, the disturbed weather patterns persist and I stare out of the window at snow designed for December and January - not April.



No comments:

Post a Comment