Friday, April 15, 2011

Lincoln Envelope?

Dear Keepers of Official U.S. Documents,

I am of the opinion that I have uncovered something of historic value that
quite likely ought to be archived somewhere in Washington, DC.  I can't
believe what I am about to tell you.

I found this very old envelope in a side pocket of an old storage trunk in
Wanamingo, Minnesota. I almost didn't pay heed to it. On the front of the
envelope was a "to do" list which at first didn't catch my eye. That was . . .
until I read it!

Does what I found have value?

Respectively submitted, 

Clem J. Nagel


                                 To Do Soon:
            -Finish the speech for Gettysburg
            -Give more thought to the idea of a floating dry dock
            -Empty garbage as soon as I return home
            -    ( ?   I was unable to read this third entry)
            -Decide what to do with the problem in Mankato

What triggered things for me were the words "Gettysburg", "dry  dock", and
"Mankato". It could only mean one thing. Abraham Lincoln must have scribbled
the list down while somewhere away from home.

Then, I turned the envelope over and couldn't believe what I saw!  Whoever
had written on the back side of the envelope was obviously confused in trying
to come up with a phrase to begin some kind of a speech. Therewere crossed
out words, notations in parentheses and. here and there, comments clearly added
by someone else who must have known the writer.Was that person riding with
Lincoln at the time? Mysteries!

It was fascinating, to say the least.

Here is what was written on the back . . .

                                           Gettysburg Address

                                                (years?)
         Fourscore and seven days ago  (3 score and 27 years ago?)  our country . . .

         2 x 2 score and (fore?) four (4)  years ago, our country . . . Abe, that
                   doesn't add up, just take my word for it!
              
         Perhaps, just possibly use "A long time ago?" (not sure)
                                
         31,755 days ago, our country . . .
                Abe, don't use this ! ! !

                       One score, 7 years and 21,900 days ago, our country . . .

                Abe Dear, keep it simple!  Just use 87 !!!
                                                                      Love,
                                                                            Mary

           87 years ago (or maybe, just fourscore and seven years ago?) I'll have
           to give it more consideration . . .


                                    Comments are welcome! Just click on the
                                                   word "comment" below
         

No comments:

Post a Comment