Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Stiff Wind and 36 Degrees

Spring officially began at 6:21 pm two days ago. And the moon appears bigger than it has been for almost two decades. That's the good news.

However, the clouds have been so thick than the moon could well have moved to another galaxy. And spring? A stiff wind, drizzle, and temperatures in the mid-thirties can hardly qualify for the good citizen award of the week.But we shouldn't be complaining - the forecast for Duluth was gusts up to 60 mph and 18 inches of snow.

I close my eyes and remember the cloud of pink across acres of a Georgia peach orchard in full bloom. It is the hard-earned vision that sustains me now, after we drove many miles across the south, looking for spring. And remembering green grass and magnolia trees offering up their incredible flowers for all to see.

The sign on the garden center just down the street from our house that says "Plant Your Seeds Now." I hope beginning gardeners know that such planting is for inside. Too early to get a spade in the frozen ground - to say nothing about the sure sudden death of seeds planted too soon.

Spring will come, I know it in my heart. And my daffodils will force their way to the surface through still icy ground. How they do that is a mystery to me. Life does need its mysteries.



Comments welcome. Just click comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment