Friday, September 24, 2010

The Lure of Wild Places

There is something about the extremes of the Earth that draw me. These are not places where I would choose to live. But they are places I carry around in my memories and my heart. 
Iceland
Trips to Alaska with snowcapped mountains too numerous to name. The North Cape of Norway high above the Arctic Circle, where a third of the world's Atlantic Puffins live. Our journey around South America's Cape Horn. And this latest voyage across the North Atlantic.

I grew up in a closed container geograpically. Landlocked, though not in the way the term is usually used. My family never traveled and I had no expectations that my life could be any different. At the same time, seeds to explore were planted in my soul, somewhere below my conscious mind.

When Clem and I made our first dash for freedom, my closed container expanded - and has continued to expand. Wild places danced before me and I answered.

Faroe Islands

Greenland
Of course, inevitable questions rise up within me. Why these places? What is their meaning for me? How do I carry them now within me? I close my eyes and remember.





No comments:

Post a Comment